Labels

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Working as a patient


Yesterday I was taken care of by multiple EMT's. I complained of respiratory distress, radiating cardiac pain, an allergic reaction to peanuts, a broken tib-fib and a dislocated shoulder. All of that and I feel as fit as a fiddle today.

I didn't ride in an ambulance, EMS was not called, and I didn't have any of the symptoms that I complained about.

I worked as a patient as multiple EMT's were taking their practical tests for their certification. It was a unique experience because usually if EMT's are providing care for you, you are probably agitated, pained and a little shook-up. Being a patient for their testing, however, was like having our roles reversed. The future EMT's were nervous and I, having been a patient for more than 30 times throughout the day had a sort of "upper-hand" on the situation. I knew what I was supposed to say, I knew what to complain of and had my roles down pat.

Being a Wilderness First Responder and certified in First Aid, CPR and AED myself, I would love to someday be certified as an EMT. The ability to help people who are in traumatic situations seems very challenging yet rewarding.

If you are interested in being a patient for EMT or First Responder testing, just contact your local EMS or Fire Station and ask how you can help. You might learn something while you're at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment