Labels

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Camping, with a baby! Top ten Gear List!



 In November 2013 my husband and I took our then five month old son on his first camping trip. 
I know what you are thinking, November is such a cold month to take a baby for his first overnight in the outdoors. 
That was my thought, until I was able to find a KOA open all year less than two hours from our home. 

The KOA was a perfect setup. The 550 sqft. cabin was preheated upon our arrival and it was squeaky clean. My family is an AAA member so we were given a large discount; the room cost us only $30.00 a night. The baby loved it and my husband and I throughly enjoyed the peace and quite of the Pennsylvania Mountains.

To assist my fellow young outdoorsy families, I have compiled a top ten list of must haves for baby’s first immersion in the wild. 



  1. Diapers/wipes. Most important thing for baby is his comfort level. I brought disposable diapers for the sake of convenience.
  2. Layers. Be sure to keep baby warm. Remember, it is easier to stay warm than it is to get warm. 
  3. Food. I am and was nursing at the time. 
  4. Blankets. The cabin supplied mattresses, but you are expected to bring your own blankets. 
  5. Bed. We brought our sleep divider. I suggest the most portable sleeper you own.
  6. Extra Clothes. My baby has a tendency to soil his clothes abruptly, so I always bring an extra set of clothing.
  7. Teethes. My baby’s gums are bothering him and he appreciates any and all teethes. 
  8. Soap/ disinfectant.  Keep those little baby fingers clean and wash his and your hands often.
  9. Diaper rash cream.  Baby’s sweet little bottom needs to be protected from rashes and that isn’t usually sold in camp stores.
  10. Big ol’e Heart. Bring yourself, soak up each precious moment with your child, and be present. 

No comments:

Post a Comment