Labels

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

California Mission Trail


"Always to go forward, never to go back" - Blessed Junipero Serrra

For a few years now, Christine and I have had a dream to bicycle along the California Mission Trail; retracing the steps of Blessed Junipero Serra, a Spanish, Franciscan friar who helped found and build 21 faith-filled communities along the Western coast in the 18th century. 2013 is the 300th Anniversary of the birth of this courageous missionary, appropriately coinciding with this Year of Faith.

This past Monday morning, while I was routinely online job searching I remembered this dream and decided to do some researching about the California Mission Trail, and I believe that God willing, we can make this dream a reality.

I hope during April of 2013 to make a pilgrimage along the California Mission Trail via bicycle visiting the 21 mission churches along the Western coast. I am blessed to consider myself "free" during the month of April because I do not start my summer position until the beginning of May. I have experience planning trip logistics, a love for Catholicism and the Franciscan spirituality and have a zeal for adventure.


And I could use your assistance. Would you participate on this pilgrimage with me? You can participate either through PRAYER, PAYMENT or PHYSICAL PARTICIPATION.

Here are the deets:
1. Starting in San Diego, CA we will travel north on bicycle taking hiking/biking trails closely following the old El Camino Real route that its founders traveled. The approximately 800 mile route will end at the last mission in Sonoma, CA.
2. Depending on the availability and physical ambition of the group members this trek could take 3-4 weeks to complete.
3. I am in the process of conversing with several people who have through-hiked this ancient trail and am currently planning the exact route that we would travel.
4. We will try and reach a new mission church every day. With this in mind, we will be living out of our packs and bicycles. We will be either setting up camp on each of the mission church's land (I am starting to call each of the churches to see what our possibilities are) or camping at a nearby camping ground.
5. My hope is that we would be biking consistently 4-5 hours each day, leaving time to visit Jesus in the sacrament of the eucharist, purchase necessities, set up camp and learn about each of the mission churches and their history.
6. The cost of this trek depends on many factors: your form of travel to and from California, the amount of food you like to eat and the gear that you currently own. You will need transportation to San Diego and from Santa Rosa, a dependable bicycle, a helmet and camping gear.
7. I have been speaking with several people who have seemed interested in physically participating, but in order for this endeavor to take off, I need at least TWO COMMITTED INDIVIDUALS. If you are at all interested in participating on this pilgrimage: please contact me as soon as possible!

If you are interested in participating in this pilgrimage through prayer, please pray through the intercession of Blessed Junipero Serra. Your prayers are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. May Christ's peace be with you.

If you are interested in participating in this pilgrimage through payment, that would also be appreciated. My goal is to be frugal with traveling and I will be purchasing minimally, but if you feel called to donate please contact me.

Blessed Junipero Serra always moved forward to spread the Gospel. Let us also move forward, never to go back: to grow in wisdom, faith and delight in Him.

For more information and brainstorming please email me at teresaboever@gmail.com

Blessed Junipero Serra: Ora Pro Nobis!

“God has created me to do him some definite service; he has committed some work to me which he has not committed to another. I have my mission - I may never know it in this life, but I shall be told it in the next... I have a part in a great work; I am a link in a chain, a bond of connection between persons..." - Blessed John Henry Newman





2 comments:

  1. Man this sounds awesome. I will be working throughout April and I am not fit enough anyways, but if I could, I would. Blessed Junipero Serra, pray for Teresa & company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe! I appreciate your prayers and support so much! Christ's peace be with you.

      Delete