Labels

Monday, March 4, 2013

Bruised and Winning

Call me Jimmy Braddock; I've recieved bruises, fallen down in the dirt and exhaled grunts of frustration, but finally I overcame and took home the gold.
James Braddock: even his hair looks tough.
 
I know what you're thinking. You're thinking: "Teresa you are a big jokester, you didn't fight anyone; you're just looking for a way to talk about your Irish boxing crush and hula hooping in the same post."
 
 
And you would be absolutely correct. 



Allow me to introduce you to J.B. : my brand-spanking new travel hoop from Hoopnotica! A big shout-out and thanks to Steen for introducing me to the travel hoop and the hobby of hooping.
 
I recieved J.B. about a week ago and since then I have learned many things; such as:
a) hooping tutorials on Youtube are hilarious and uniquely diverting
b) when learning to hoop around your knees try not to wear the baggiest sweat pants you own. This creates unnecessary bruising in the knee area
c) telling a perspective employer that you are learning to hula hoop and play the harmonica may give them the jolt that they need to "hire that girl!"
d) travel hoops are a great investment if you're planning to take it places (that's most likely why they named it the travel hoop). . . I mean, while having the 5' hoop tied to the top of my Honda with hemp seemed romantic and sprouted friendly conversation at Costco gas stations. . .this summer it would have bordered on burdensome while I am backpacking, white water rafting and mountain biking.
e) hooping and pooping rhyme and if you don't have the gift of proper articulation in the mornings: it may sound to others that your plan for the day is to "poop in the park"
 
This weekend I had a complete hoot twirling this thing around and learning to do a couple simple tricks. I'm so happy with my new travel hoop I may just take a trip to the past with it and show Jimmy that you don't have to box with people to get bruises. . . you simply have to bounce a ring of tubing off your knee caps for two hours.
 
Here's an ode to my new hobby of hooping:
 
Hooping is neat
It will get you beat
Stay on your feet
or you'll be dead meat*
 
*Just kidding. 
 
Anyone else have a hooping hobby? I'd love to hear your stories!

2 comments:

  1. I too have been fascinated in the past with Hula Hooping and Hot Irish boxers. This North American phenomenon is akin to the African Zulu Stick phenomenon (a Stick that is known for its Zulu. In Africa.) The question becomes, obviously, what does the Zulu Stick and the Hulu Mic have in common? Could it be that the Irish Bod, and the African Rod, are really just two peas in the same pod? Bludgeon a Curmudgeon is whats on tap for a mic and a stick bound by a rap.

    ReplyDelete